Courage, an apostolate of the Roman Catholic Church, ministers to those with same-sex attractions and their loved ones. Courage is endorsed by the Pontifical Council for the Family. It is a spiritual support system which assists men and women with same-sex attractions in living chaste lives in fellowship, truth and love.CATHOLIC TEACHING- The human person, made in the image and likeness of God can hardly be adequately described by a reductionist reference to his or her sexual orientation. Every one living on the face of the earth has personal problems and difficulties – but challenges to growth, strengths, and talents and gifts as well. Today, the Church provides a badly needed context for the care of human person when she refuses to consider the person a heterosexuals or a homosexual and insists that every person ahs a fundamental identity: a creature of God and by grace, His child and heir to eternal life.” (Letter from the Congregation of the Doctrine of Faith- October 1986.
Today is the first in a series of discussions on Courage support groups. What is Courage? Courage is a support group helping Catholic men and women to live in accordance with the Catholic Church’s pastoral teaching on homosexuality.
The goals of Courage were formulated by the original Courage members. The goals and purposes are listed as follows:
1) To live chaste lives in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality.
2) To dedicate our entire lives to Christ through service to others, spiritual reading, prayer, meditation, individual spiritual direction, frequent attendance at Mass, and the frequent reception of the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Holy Eucharist.
3) To foster a spirit of fellowship in which we may share with one another our thoughts and experiences and so ensure that none of us has to face the problems of homosexuality alone.
4) To be mindful of the truth that chaste friendships are not only possible but necessary in chaste Christian life-to encourage one another in forming and sustaining them.
5) To live lives that may serve as good examples to others.Courage, an apostolate of the Roman Catholic Church, ministers to those with same-sex attractions and their loved ones. Courage is endorsed by the Pontifical Council for the Family. It is a spiritual support system which assists men and women with same-sex attractions in living chaste lives in fellowship, truth and love.
Holy See Endorses Courage
Cardinal Lopez Trujillo, speaking on behalf of the Holy See, had the following to say about the work of Courage:
“This Pontifical Council for the Family supports the organization call Courage which was founded by Father John Harvey, OSFS, for helping homosexual persons to live in accordance with the laws of God and the teaching of His Church.”
If you would like to attend a meeting, please contact Fr. Finelli.
This is a meeting for ONLY those individuals who have or struggle with same-sex attractions and desire to develop an interior life of chastity, the universal call to all Christians tomove beyond the confines of the homosexual identity to a more complete one in Christ. ALL meetings are kept in the strictest of confidence. This is not a therapy group, this a support group.For information to the time and location of meeting please email all questions to
courage [at] HolyGhostCC . org
Also, visit the official Courage website for more information.