Holy Ghost Parish, Tiverton, Rhode Island
Beginnings: Tiverton in the Late 19th Century
In 1870, the northern end of Tiverton, Rhode Island, was a quiet rural landscape, home to several farming families. Locals referred to the area as “the blueberry or huckleberry grounds,” with pastures of grazing animals, open meadows, and fields stretching to the shores of Mount Hope Bay — part of Narragansett Bay and close to the Atlantic Ocean.
That same year brought change. Two large cotton mills were constructed nearby: the Shove Mill (built in 1870, sometimes referred to as the “Small Shove Mill”) and the Bourne Mill (built in 1881). The mills offered steady wages, attracting settlers from surrounding areas. Farmland was soon divided into house lots, purchased by both land speculators and working families. A small home with space for a garden and poultry yard was far more appealing than crowded city tenements.
The first Catholic family settled in North Tiverton in 1874. Soon, French Canadians arrived, drawn by the nearness to work and the seashore’s wholesome climate. Portuguese immigrants from the Azores followed, joining the established English-speaking residents and forming the town’s three main ethnic communities.
A Mission is Founded
By the early 1900s, Catholic communities in Tiverton, Portsmouth, and Little Compton were growing. In May 1908, Bishop Matthew Harkins entrusted these towns to the pastoral care of the Holy Ghost Fathers, a missionary congregation. Portsmouth served as the base parish.
Bishop Harkins told the first pastor, Rev. Christopher Rooney, C.S.Sp., “Eventually there will be a church here, and it will be part of your parish.”
In 1913, Bishop Harkins authorized a mission church in North Tiverton, originally called the Church of the Holy Paraclete. Fr. Rooney had already overseen construction of chapels in Tiverton and Little Compton. In North Tiverton, he engaged architect Edward M. Corbett and contractor Samuel Stewart. The new Roman-style church measured 130 feet by 40 feet, seated 450 people, and cost $15,000.
On June 6, 1915, Bishop Harkins dedicated the church. The first altar servers included Ralph Boardman, William V. O’Connell, Joseph Simpson, and Thomas Williamson. A parish hall, formerly the Judson Street School, was authorized in 1917.
Fr. Rooney, while serving North Tiverton, continued to reside in Portsmouth. His health declined, and he died in Ireland on May 31, 1919. The Knights of Columbus in Portsmouth remain named in his honor.
Growth Under Father Boehr
In 1919, Rev. Joseph Boehr, C.S.Sp., became pastor. A former missionary in the Portuguese African Congo, Fr. Boehr was remembered for his generosity and dedication. With no rectory in North Tiverton, he traveled daily from Portsmouth — even walking the eight miles through snow when trolleys were blocked.
Through parish suppers, bazaars, and lawn parties — such as the well-remembered 1920 summer event under starlit skies — the church paid off its debt. On December 7, 1922, the final mortgage was burned.
Although still a mission, Holy Ghost was active, with societies including the Holy Name Society, Sacred Heart League, Children of Mary Sodality, Junior Holy Name, and the Ladies of St. Anne (founded in 1916). The St. Vincent de Paul Conference was established in 1932.
In 1923, Holy Ghost was elevated to parish status, with Fr. Boehr as its first resident pastor. Land was purchased for a rectory, completed in 1925. Catechism classes were held there, and assistant pastors like Fr. Joseph Sabaniec became beloved figures — especially among the children.
Mid-Century Development
In 1941, Holy Ghost celebrated its first priestly vocation: Rev. Zenon St. Laurent, Jr. Fr. Boehr retired in 1943 due to ill health and died in 1945.
Rev. Kerry O’Connor Keane succeeded him, expanding the parish’s physical and spiritual life. He added brick to the church exterior, built a bell tower (famously playing “Danny Boy”), and converted the parish hall basement into classrooms. Holy Ghost School opened in 1950, staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Union of the Sacred Heart, with a permanent school building blessed in 1958. The convent was completed in 1962.
Fr. Keane also introduced parish lectors. His death in 1967 ended the ministry of the Holy Ghost Fathers in Tiverton.
Transition to Diocesan Leadership
In 1967, diocesan priest Rev. John J. Condon became pastor, overseeing renovations in line with Vatican II. The school closed in 1970 when the Sisters could no longer staff it.
In 1971, Fr. Peter G. Young was appointed pastor. He prioritized religious education, hiring Sr. Mary Alexis Nolan, R.S.M., as the first full-time CCD coordinator. The Parish Council was formed in 1972.
Challenges and Renewal
On December 3, 1984, a devastating electrical fire destroyed the church sanctuary and caused $500,000 in damage. Masses were temporarily held at Blessed Sacrament Church and the Knights of Columbus Hall. The parish voted to build a new church, forming a Building Committee under Leo St. Laurent and selecting Robinson Green Beretta of Providence as architects.
Ground was broken in September 1986, and on November 15, 1987, Bishop Louis E. Gelineau dedicated the new church.
Pastoral Leadership Since 1994
Fr. Peter Young retired on June 30, 1994, and passed away at age 89 on November 8, 2012.
Fr. David Rolando became the sixth pastor on July 1, 1994, serving until November 30, 1994. Fr. Joel Lecuvre acted as administrator until December 31, 1994. On January 1, 1995, Fr. Charlie Quinn was appointed seventh pastor, serving until January 31, 1997, when he was transferred to St. Eugene Parish in Chepachet.
That same day, Fr. Henry P. Zinno, Jr. became the eighth pastor. His tenure brought stability and important repairs: a new roof, updated HVAC systems, and a beautifully centered tabernacle. He introduced new devotions, including Novenas, seasonal Adoration, and a return to traditional pious practices. Statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. Jude, and St. Anthony were installed. In November 1997, the unused convent on Hooper Street was sold.
Upon Fr. Zinno’s transfer to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Bristol, Fr. Jay A. Finelli was appointed the ninth pastor. His pastorate has been marked by both preservation of tradition and significant renovation. A donated confessional (2004) restored the option for anonymous confession, encouraging increased participation. That same year, he began building and integrating a traditional music program for the parish, featuring classic Catholic hymns, Gregorian chant, and polyphony.
Statues of St. Pio and the Divine Mercy image were installed, along with a statue of the Holy Ghost placed above the reredos near the ceiling and a central hanging sanctuary lamp. The original statue of St. Thérèse — rescued from storage after the fire — was restored. Two reproduction angels by the artist Raphael, along with Raphael’s Disputation of the Holy Sacrament, adorn the east wall of the church.
In 2005, a life-size crucifix was added above the reredos, with the cross hand-built by a parishioner. Fr. Finelli introduced a monthly Latin Novus Ordo Mass, later transitioning to the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) in the Extraordinary Form after training at St. John Cantius in Chicago. The TLM congregation grew from 20 attendees to over 120 weekly. Inspired by Pope Benedict XVI, he gradually reintroduced the Ad Orientem posture at all Masses by Easter Vigil 2013.
Aesthetic and liturgical enhancements have included faux-marble painting of the interior (2008), installation of Italian tile flooring (2009), and construction of a full altar rail (2010). Adoration expanded from First Fridays to every Friday, culminating in the opening of the Our Lady Queen of Peace Adoration Chapel in May 2011, which remains the spiritual heart of the parish.
Fr. Finelli also revitalized parish fellowship and outreach. In September 2018, he began the Knights of Divine Mercyfor men, followed in September 2019 by the Ladies of Divine Mercy. His father and a friend initiated the parish’s annual Lenten Fish & Chips, now a beloved tradition fostering community bonds. He also reimagined and renamed the parish’s Christmas Bazaar as the Harvest Festival, giving it a fresh focus and renewed interest.
During the COVID-19 shutdown, Holy Ghost remained a source of spiritual strength and consolation. Under Fr. Finelli’s leadership, the parish offered two hours of outdoor, drive-through confession every Saturday, livestreamed daily Mass, and provided Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in the church every day of the week. While many have yet to return to regular practice of the faith, Fr. Finelli and his staff continue to work diligently to welcome people home, fostering a warm, inviting, and vibrant parish life.
In 2019, Fr. Finelli designed and built a new traditional High Altar and reredos in his late father’s workshop. The work was completed and installed in December 2019. The reredos was lovingly dedicated to Jerry Finelli by Fr. Jay A. Finelli and his mother Shirley. The altar, which came from the lower church at St. John’s in Worcester, MA, was dedicated to Eileen George by Fr. Jay A. Finelli. Artists David and Linè Tutwiler painted angelic and Trinitarian scenes for the niches, which were blessed and installed on August 6, 2020, the Feast of the Transfiguration.
Vocations under Fr. Jay A. Finelli’s Pastorate:
- Rev. Nicholas Fleming – Ordained June 27, 2015 by Most Rev. Thomas J. Tobin, Bishop of Providence. First Solemn Mass: June 28, 2015 at Holy Ghost, Tiverton. Second vocation from the parish.
- Rev. John (Shane) Conlon, F.S.S.P. – Ordained May 28, 2026 by Archbishop Thomas Wenski, for the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. Third vocation from the parish.
- Michael Santos – Entered Religious Life August 1, 2025, with the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception in Stockbridge, MA. Michael will enter Novitiate on August 14, 2026. Fourth vocation from the parish; currently in formation.
Parish facilities have been consistently maintained and beautified, including the renovation of the parish hall, renamed Holy Family Hall.
A Living Tradition
From its humble beginnings among blueberry fields to its present-day vitality, Holy Ghost Parish has been shaped by the steadfast faith, hard work, and generosity of its people. Through fire, rebuilding, pastoral transitions, and liturgical renewal, the parish remains a vibrant center of Catholic worship and community life in North Tiverton — rooted in tradition, alive in faith, and looking forward with hope.
Vocations at Holy Ghost
Fr. Zenon St. Laurent
First Priestly Vocation from Holy Ghost
1941 – Ordination to the Priesthood
Fr. Nicholas Fleming
2nd Priestly Vocation from Holy Ghost
June 27, 2015 – Ordination to the Priesthood
Cathedral of Sts. Peter & Paul in Providence, RI
By the Most Rev. Thomas J. Tobin
Rev. Shane Conlon, F.S.S.P.
2nd Priestly Vocation from Holy Ghost
May 28, 2026 – Ordained to the Priesthood
St. Cecilia Cathedral, Omaha, NE
By Archbishop Thomas Winski
For the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter
Mr. Michael Santos
Ordination to the Priesthood at a future date
Entered Religious Life – September 1, 2025
Enters Novitiate – August 14, 2026
![]() Rev. Zenon St. Laurent, Jr. Ordained 1941 | ![]() Rev. Nicholas T. Fleming Ordained: June 27, 2015 | ![]() Rev. Mr. Shane Conlon Ordination set for: May 28, 2026 | ![]() Mr. Michael Santos |



