As all of you probably know by now, there has been an outbreak of Swine Flu in Mexico and it has spread into the United States. As I write this column, there are already three suspected cases in Rhode Island and already two confirmed cases in Massachusetts. This means that we all need to take proper precautions.
How can you prevent it?
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or a hand sanitizer (i.e. Purell)
- Smother your cough and sneeze with the inside of your elbow or use a tissue and discard it in a container immediately after use and then wash your hands thoroughly
- Stay away from people who are sick and do not go to work or school if you are ill yourself
What should you do if you get sick?
- Cover your mouth and nose as discussed earlier
- Wash your hands!!!
- Do not go to school, work or church!
- If you plan on visiting a healthcare professional, call ahead and notify them of your visit so they are prepared
- Stay away from close contact with anyone (greater than 6 feet) and if at all able, separate yourself completely from others.
- Disinfect any area that becomes contaminated or potentially contaminated with germs.
Above all, use common sense and decency!
Beginning immediately, we will NOT have the sign of peace! Please comply with this request!